Phase 1 Reopening Guidelines for Businesses – COVID-19
A letter to the business community from Thomas Jefferson Health District Medical Director Dr. Denise Bonds
May 14, 2020
Dear Business Leaders:
The Virginia Department of Health’s Thomas Jefferson Health District (TJHD) is closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic locally and working diligently to prepare our community for reopening of services. As you know, this is a rapidly evolving situation with information changing regularly. As of this Friday, May 15, most of Virginia will enter Phase 1 of the Forward Virginia Guidelines: Safer at Home, as outlined in the Governor’s Executive Order 61. Phase 1 is anticipated to last between two and four weeks.
We encourage your organizations and businesses to remain flexible with its policies and procedures to accommodate public health requirements and recommendations to reduce potential for infection.
Key Guidelines for all Business Sectors
Physical Distancing Best Practices
- Establish policies and practices that allow for physical distancing between employees and members of the public.
- Encourage employees and customers to wear cloth face coverings. We strongly encourage you to provide your employees with face coverings.
- Provide clear communication and signage for physical distancing.
Enhanced Cleaning and Disinfection Practices
- Practice routine cleaning and disinfection of high contact areas and surfaces.
- Limit the extent that tools or equipment must be shared.
- Provide a place for employees and customers to wash and/or disinfect their hands.
Enhanced Workplace Safety Best Practices
- Instruct employees who are sick to stay home
- Contact TJHD with questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-972-6261
Please see the Forward Virginia Guidelines and the Governor’s Executive Order 61 for further guidance. Additional resources are listed below. We would appreciate you sharing this information with your members.
- CDC Guidance for Businesses
- OSHA Guidance for Businesses
- Virginia Department of Health
- Thomas Jefferson Health District
- Cloth Face Coverings FAQs
Sources for Cloth Face Coverings
- Virginia Industries for the Blind
- Virginia Correctional Enterprises
- CNET: Where to buy face masks online
Thank you for your efforts to protect the health and safety of your employees and the community.
Denise Bonds, MD, MPH | Director, Thomas Jefferson Health District | Virginia Department of Health